Monday, July 4, 2011

And So It Begins...


I officially kicked off my training for the 2012 Chevron Houston Marathon on July 1. I'm doing heart rate based training this year with Team Elite here in Pearland, TX.

Before I could begin training, I had to head over to see Johnny Shelby at Third Coast Training to get my testing done for VO2 Max, Lactate Threshold, and Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR). The purpose of these tests were to find out what my heart rate zones and metabolic profile were before we got started. I learned a lot throughout the whole process, and Johnny is kind of like an endurance sport mad scientist. He's constantly running calculations on his laptop or iPhone the whole time the tests are going on. I learned my aerobic base is not quite up to par, and that I have not been taking in nearly enough calories to fuel my workouts. It's ridiculous how much I eat now. It's really going to get out of hand in a few months when we start doing longer runs. I may as well take up residence at the kitchen table on those Saturdays.

The workouts look pretty cool. I'm going to be spending three days a week just running in Zone 1 to improve my meager aerobic base. The other two days will be spent doing interval workouts to improve my speed. Johnny said the tests showed I had a lot of untapped speed.

I think it's going to be an exciting fall race season, and I'm looking forward to see what April and Kat have in store for me leading up to the big day on January 15, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment