Sunday, July 31, 2011

One Month Down

Well, I have completed the first month of my marathon training. I am really loving this new training program. I am a data person so it is perfect for me. I'll elaborate more on that part later. It is quite a bit more challenging than the program we used in Pearland Fit last year, but I think I'll hold up just fine.

Like I said last time, all of the runs are done based on heart rate zones. This is a much more accurate way of training than using speed or pace. My coach loads all my workouts into the eNewLeaf program so I can look at them and download them into my Garmin.


Here is one of my interval workouts. All the workouts start with a ten minute warmup and end with a ten minute cooldown. This workout was 1:00 in Zone 1, 1:00 in Zone 2, 1:00 in Zone 3, 1:00 in Zone 4, and another 2:00 in Zone 1. This sequence was repeated 7 times in 40 minutes. My Garmin will beep for five seconds before each time you switch heart rate zones. It will also let you know when you are not in the correct zone. There's no way to cheat without your coach finding out because it records everything.

After the workout, I upload the results from my Garmin back into to eNewLeaf and leave feedback on my run. On eNewLeaf, you can look at all your data from the run. Do you remember when I said I liked data? Well, I'm about to blow your mind with all the data you can see from your run. It provides you with a workout summary, including time, distance, speed, and heart rate. It also has speed and heart rate plotted against time layed over color blocks representing the correct training zones. The workout log shows calories, time in zones, heart rate, and a compliance screen where it grades you against how often you were in the correct zones.




Summary


Calories


Time in Zone


Heart Rate


Compliance


Since we have gone over the ins and outs of how the program works, I guess I'll let you know how it has been working for me. I can actually tell that I am getting faster because I can see that each week my workouts cover a little more distance in the same time periods, one of the benefits of all the data. I'm feeling stronger on my "hard" days than I did when I started four weeks ago. The most miles I ran with Pearland Fit in a week last year was 32. I ran 36 in my first week this year, and I felt great. We never have two hard days together. A hard day is always followed by a easy, or recovery, day on the schedule.


Overall, I think it's shaping up to be a great fall race season, and I'm looking forward to setting some new PR's. Until then, I'm just going to try not to burn up in this heat.


July Mileage = 160.64


Total Program Mileage = 160.64 (Since July 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment